Comparing Cosmetic Dentistry and General Dentistry:
Let’s take a closer look at the differences between the two most common types of dental services so you’ll know what to look for in a dental practice to determine which is the best for you. The two types of services we’ll be looking at today are general dentistry and cosmetic dentistry in Newton, MA.
First, let’s look at what these terms mean.
Cosmetic dentistry includes any dental procedures performed specifically to improve the way your teeth and smile look, which in turn affects how you feel about yourself and your confidence level. Procedures done for appearance would be cosmetic dentistry, while procedures done to improve the functions of your mouth, like chewing, would not count.
General dentistry is a term for procedures everyone will likely experience in their visits to the dentist office at some point, especially because general dentistry includes checkups. Also included in general dentistry for Newton MA residents are procedures like fillings, root canals, and extractions. These types of dental procedures are available in most dentist offices.
While general dentistry is more about function, it would be a mistake to believe that the beauty of your smile and what it means to you is unimportant. This affects many people’s confidence and their experiences as they go through life. Everyone deserves a beautiful smile, and cosmetic dentistry is provided to make that possible.
Dental technology is improving all the time. Thanks to these advancements, cosmetic dentistry in Newton, MA is better than ever, with faster procedures, less pain, and more effective results. Many people enjoy services like laser teeth whitening and gum treatments for a pain-free improvement that stands out.
Cosmetic dental procedures can help with problems like crooked, stained, broken or chipped teeth that keep many people from confidently smiling and interacting in social situations and hence not enjoying their lives.
While there are some procedures every dentist can agree on that count as either cosmetic dentistry or general dentistry, some Newton, MA offices may disagree on the classifications.
Generally, most dentists will consider the following types of dental needs to be cosmetic dentistry in Newton, MA.
- Crowns and Bridges: Teeth often become chipped or cracked and need a type of cap over them to return them to their normal shape and protect the teeth and gums. This is where crowns or bridges can be done to repair the problem, fill the gap between the teeth, and keep your dental health intact.
- Veneers: This procedure may be an alternative to orthodontic options, or serve as a way to adjust the coloring of teeth. Veneers are a thin porcelain layer bonded to the front of teeth to protect them and give them a solid new color.
- Bruxism (Grinding Teeth): Are you grinding your teeth? This happens for many different reasons and so cosmetic dentistry in Newton, MA may offer you several different treatment plans to protect your teeth.
- Whitening Treatments: There are several options here. Two popular choices are laser teeth whitening or bleaching the teeth. When choosing a whitening treatment, you can discuss the shades that will work best for your teeth and what’s possible with your dentist.
- Implants: The options for dental implants have improved a great deal with recent advances in dental technology. In severe cases where aging, tooth decay, or dental injury has made a tooth not viable any longer, false teeth are a solid option for a great looking and functional result.
- Orthodontics: Your dentist may be able to provide options for you or refer you to a specialist to have your orthodontic needs met.
As you can see from this list of examples, cosmetic dentistry in Newton, MA is often about appearance, while also being about dental health at the same time.
Are you ready to explore options for either general dentistry or cosmetic dentistry in Newton, MA? Contact our office today. We can help you discuss your options and book an appointment for a convenient time for you.